Sunday, February 10, 2008

Who Is Jesus To You?

Read this first...
Luke 9:18-20: “And it happened, as He was alone praying, that His disciples joined Him and He asked them saying, “Who do the crowds say that I am?”

So they answered and said “John the Baptist, but some say Elijah and others say that one of the old prophets has risen again.”

He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”

Peter answered and said, “The Christ of God.”

Think of this, Jesus just did one the biggest miracles you’ve ever witnessed. He only had five loaves of bread and two fishes and yet he thanked God for them and they became a feast for five thousand. After such a miracle, it’s no wonder he needed some time with his Father in prayer. And it is then while praying his disciples came to him and he asked an important question. I love Peter’s response. He doesn’t even have to think about it. It comes naturally. And the greatest thing is, it’s simple. It’s without additions or subtractions. It’s simply the truest fact every spoken. Who is Jesus to you? How would you define him? What would you add, what would you leave out? Do we in this day and age really have a clear view of his Lordship?

There is a very small village I visited once in the northern part Benin, Africa. This village was full of hate, disease, crime, you name it. It was chaos. They called themselves the “Village of Darkness.” Then three young men who were followers of Jesus came to them and starting loving them and helping them. Along the way they taught and educated them on the values, principles and precepts of Jesus. Through the course of time the village changed their ways and the impact of these men was so great that they changed their name to the “Village of the Light” or “Akpali.” Now the greatest story I ever heard from this village was, one day men from Akpali were walking into the village carrying a girl that had just died. These three young men who had been with them, met them on the road and asked what happened. One of the young men said (and I paraphrase), “No this can’t be. Jesus is here in this village, and he is of the light, he is life. Death is of the darkness.” So they prayed and they prayed her back to life. Who was Jesus to these young men? He was life for them. In a small African village where death or darkness had reigned, they saw Jesus’ light of life come in and save this young girl. I’m amazed at their view of who Jesus was to them?

Notice however in these two stories, of Peter and the men of Akpali, their view of Jesus was tested or exemplified after or before a great miracle. Peter after the feeding of five thousand and the young men before the bringing back to life of the young girl. But I wonder how we view Jesus and who he says he is when we’re at home watching television or movies. What about while on the job? While in traffic? If we say we have Jesus inside us, that I’m a “Christian,” then does our Jesus change with the moments of life? Is he only in clear view after a miracle?


I think those young men in Akpali must have known John 8:12, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” Jesus also said, “I am the bread of life (John 6:35).” Or “I am gentle and humble in heart” (Matthew 11:29). Do we see Jesus as such? What does he mean when he says he’s the “bread of life?” These questions should be answered in all of us, for they give us a clear view of who Jesus is. If he is in us and we are to live him out, we need to see Jesus the right way, the way of the Scriptures.

I am the first to admit how hard it is to have my view of Jesus show forth in my actions and in my mind. But I know it is imperative to let the Holy Spirit move in such a way that we are constantly renewing our view of Jesus, keeping it fresh with His words. I need reminders that He is the vine and I am the branch, apart from him I have and am nothing. My daily need for food should be secondary to my need for more of Jesus in my life. When he says he is the “bread of life,” am I able to activate that statement in mind and body? Do I see Jesus as such? Am I viewing him moment by moment as what He says he is? I hope we all do. And so I ask, who is Jesus to you today? May it change your life.

No comments: